Midhurst is an historic market town in West Sussex. It lies on the River Rother 20 miles inland from the English Channel, and 12 miles north of the county town of Chichester. The name Midhurst was first recorded in 1186 as Middeherst, meaning " among the wooded hills" and has a wealth of historical buildings.
The Norman St. Ann's Castle dates from about 1120, although the foundations are all that can now be seen. The castle, the parish church of St. Mary Magdalene and St. Denis, together with South Pond, the former fish-pond for the castle, are the only three structures left from this early period. The parish church is the oldest building in Midhurst.